What the artist can expect
Margam Unveiled is a program aimed at practitioners of the South Indian asian art form, Bharatanatyam. It is meant to push practitioners and students of Bharatanatyam to creatively engage with the rich traditional repertoire, or the “Margam”. Each Margam Unveiled will center on a particular type of piece from a classical Margam (ex, Alarippu, Jatiswaram, etc) and will feature 4-5 artists based on applications.
Applicants will be asked to explore the format, structure, theme, and ultimately the essence of the given topic, and present their take on it. Through this exercise, we want to build appreciation for the depth, diversity, and enormous scope to innovate within this iconic classical art form. Selected artists will be provided with a platform to present their work to an open audience. At this time, we are unable to pay the artists.
What we ask of the artist
Artists have significant creative liberty for Margam Unveiled, but we ask that they present a piece adhering to the given theme. Artists must provide their own music (live or recorded) to accompany their performance. We also ask that artists are available for one pre-performance rehearsal for a sound/space check
This program is intended for
- practitioners of Bharatanatyam
- while artists of all experience levels are welcome to apply, we’re particularly interested in younger students of dance
- preference will be given to artists who identify as women of color, LGBTQIA+, are from marginalized communities or any kind of under represented minority
- must support their own travel to the Bay Area for the presentation
- both individual or ensemble based presentations are welcome to apply, however as one application.
The first edition of Margam Unveiled will be on October 22, 2022 at the Prayukti Studio
The theme for our first showcase is going to be “ALARIPPU”
Applications are open from July 15, 2022 and will close by August 20, 2022 11:59 PM PST.
Tickets will be made available for in person viewing